Sunday, August 4, 2013

Brooke Fraser summed it up.

 
These words shine brightly on the walls of Wells of Joy Church, which doubles as Brilliant Sharpening School in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya. They are profound. They hit my heart like huge boulders, creating sinkholes of emotion as they hold me captive. This very building is a standing testimony to God's goodness to the poorest of the poor in Kenya. It towers over all the neighboring buildings, offering hope and being a "city on a hill", a becon of light in a very dark place.
 
At Brillant Sharpening Community School, tuition is ten cents per month for families that can afford it. Children are dropped off each morning at 6AM so their parents can look for work. Many come unfed or underfed. The children are picked up 12-13 hours later. During the day, the teachers care for the children, educate them, and keep them safe. All children are welcome - even the babies whose moms wrap cords around their bellies to ward off evil spirits. The "baby room" had 20 kiddos sitting in and laying in plastic picnic chairs.
 
Pastor Geoffrey has faithfully served this empoverished community for 5 years. He has sacrificed his own life AND months with his own family, for the sake of the gospel going out in order to bring hope to this destitute area.  He has entered into their suffering and want. We had a taste of that want, though it is less than it was last June when Charelle visited. Our team had a small glimpse of their daily life's suffering. And then, we got to rejoice in the LORD our God for the mighty things He had done for His church. We got to rejoice in His miraculous provision for His children. As we toured the building that God built, as Ryan and John served the children morning chai, and Katie and Jessica served them their lunch, we were humbled. We marveled at the beauty and pure joy we heard and saw in these little, round faces. The 178 children - 50% more than last year - swarmed Marri, Catherine, Emily and Will Mendonza. Then, they rolled out the red carpet and the children sang and danced for our pleasure. Delightful sounds and sights to behold.
 
 
 
 
RED, LONG, BEAUTIFUL HAIR BEGS TO BE TOUCHED!
 
 
 


 


 
 A GLIMPSE of SNACK TIME!
 
 
 

 
 
Matthew 25:34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

 
 
 
 Geniune Love!
The Raybucks and Pastor Geoffrey
 
 


The Raybuck Team with Pastor Geoffrey in the slums.

 

 
 

1 comment:

  1. I've just read this today. God bless you. Faith without works indeed is dead :)

    ReplyDelete